Il Motto 2716m - 7 April 2009

I first set eyes on this summit in April 2009, when I was at the Italian village of Livigno. I remember thinking to myself: “Hmm, I guess I can climb and descend this mountain in less than 4 hours.” I soon attempted it and I soon failed. The snow was very soft and deep and the slope very steep. Big blocks of snow broke off and fell as I passed, indicating a not inconsiderable chance of avalanche. So I decided to turn around without attempting to set foot on the summit. You need to be able to recognize when you´re in danger and know when to turn around. Perhaps another time I´ll be able to go up using a different route. Time will tell. The photo was taken on April 11th, 2009, from the slopes of the Livigno ski resort.

Estando yo en el pueblo italiano de Livigno miré a esta cumbre en abril de 2009. Mi pensamiento fue aproximadamente el siguiente: en menos de 4 horas subo y bajo esa cumbre. El intento no se hizo esperar y el fracaso tampoco. La nieve estaba muy blanda y profunda. La pendiente era muy fuerte. Grandes bloques de nieve se desprendían a mi paso, por lo que la probabilidad de avalancha no parecía despreciable. Por todo ello decidí darme la vuelta y no pisar la cima. Hay que saber darse la vuelta cuando uno ve que su seguridad está en peligro. Quizá otra vez pueda intentar subir por otro itinerario. El tiempo lo dirá. La foto la hice el 11 de abril de 2009 desde las pistas de esquí de Livigno.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario