Cerro Rincón 5318m - 28 August 2009

I tried to climb this summit in Argentina because the weather conditions in Chile made it unadvisable to climb any mountain there. What I couldn’t have imagined was that the western side of the Andes could have so much snow while the eastern side had so little. Anyway, I went to the San Bernardo hut, where I met a Frenchman, Laurent, and his girlfriend Janie. While Janie looked after the hut, Laurent and I set up a camp at over 4100m to try to climb this summit. I was very disappointed to see that the snow hadn’t been transformed by the low temperature at this altitude. This slowed me down a great deal and, when we reached the couloir, at about 5000m, I felt unable to continue the ascent because I was sinking up to my waist with every step. The snowshoes didn´t help due to the steep gradient of this section and because the snow was very dry and deep. I shouted to Laurent, who, with his touring skis, wasn’t sinking so much, to carry on to the summit on his own. He had already passed the couloir and had the easiest part ahead. He didn´t want to continue to the top though. He was happy to start skiing from below the summit. I don´t know if I would´ve done the same if I’d been him. So that was how my last unsuccessful attempt to conquer a mountain ended. All in all, it was a nice adventure and at least I could observe for the first time, and without any doubt, the Magellanic Clouds. It was just as we left the camp, at about six in the morning on 28th August 2009, a short time before Laurent shot the photo you can see here.

Intenté subir a esta cima de Argentina porque en Chile las condiciones meteorológicas no hacían aconsejable subir a ninguna montaña. Lo que yo no me podía imaginar era que en el lado occidental de los Andes hubiese tanta nieve y en el lado oriental tan poca. De todas formas fui al Refugio San Bernardo, donde conocí a los franceses Laurent y su novia Janie. Mientras ella cuidaba el refugio, Laurent y yo montamos un campamento a más de 4100 metros para intentar subir a esta cima. Gran decepción tuve cuando comprobé que por encima de nuestro campamento la nieve no se había transformado por el frío que hace en las alturas. Eso me ralentizó la marcha y, cuando llegamos a la canal, a unos 5000 metros de altitud, me sentí incapaz de subir porque me hundía hasta la cintura a cada paso. Las raquetas no ayudaban por la fuerte inclinación del tramo y por lo seca y profunda que estaba la nieve. Yo grité a Laurent, que con sus esquís de travesía no se hundía tanto, para que subiese hasta la cumbre él solo. Él ya había superado la canal y le quedaba lo más fácil. Aún así no quiso llegar hasta el final. Se conformó con esquiar desde la antecima. No sé si yo habría hecho lo mismo en su lugar. De esta manera acabó mi último intento infructuoso de conquistar una montaña. Pese a todo fue una bonita aventura y al menos pude observar, por primera vez y sin género de duda, las Nubes de Magallanes. Fue justo cuando abandonamos el campamento, a eso de las 6 de la mañana del día 28 de agosto de 2009, un rato antes de que Laurent tirase la foto que aquí puede verse.

1 comentario: