Cabeza de Hierro Mayor 2381m - 26 March 2011

Having spent so many years frequenting the peaks of the Sierra de Guadarrama, I get particular pleasure out of doing a new descent there. It took me many years to finally decide to descend via a gully on the North face of this mountain because it’s very steep, perhaps reaching 45 degrees in places. For this reason, descending this gully when there is hard snow or ice is completely unadvisable. On March 26th, 2011 there were suitable conditions, with lots of spring snow. That day the snow was getting quite thin on the south faces, but was very abundant on the north slopes, as you can see in the photo. So I began my way to the summit. Just as I was getting to the top, a great cloud covered everything and I arrived at the summit in the middle of a gale with nothing visible but white in all directions. This epic point of the day was not exactly welcome at that moment as I had climbed the mountain for the first time with the intention of descending it by snowboard. Fortunately, the cloud cover was only affecting the highest part of the mountain and the wind was only hitting the top. I have to say that, at the end of the day, after this downhill, a total fall of 800 metres, I was glad to be at home again.

Después de tantos años frecuentando las cumbres de la Sierra de Guadarrama, es una gran alegría para mí hacer nuevos descensos. Tuvieron que pasar muchos años hasta que finalmente me decidí a bajar por el tubo que hay en la cara Norte de esta montaña. Esto se debe a que tiene una pendiente bastante fuerte, que puede llegar hasta los 45 grados en algún momento. Por ello es absolutamente desaconsejable bajar dicho tubo con nieve dura o hielo. El 26 de marzo de 2011 se dieron las condiciones adecuadas para hacer este descenso, con nieve primavera en abundancia. Ese día la nieve empezaba a escasear en las caras Sur, pero era tan abundante como puede verse en la foto en las caras Norte, así que emprendí mi camino a dicha cima. Cuando me faltaba poco para llegar a lo más alto una nube lo cubrió todo y cuando llegué a la cima me vi en medio de un vendaval en el que lo único que podía ver era el color blanco en todas las direcciones. Esto le dio al día un punto épico que en aquel momento yo no deseaba por ser la primera vez que subía esta montaña con la intención de bajarla con mi tabla. Afortunadamente el viento solo azotaba la cima y la nube solo cubría la parte alta de la montaña. Al final del día, tras haber hecho este descenso, de unos 800 metros de desnivel, me sentí feliz en casa una vez más.

1 comentario: